1 cup Rettai Kili kerala matta rice, parboiled
1 cup Fresh coconut, grated + 3 tablespoons more
1/8 teaspoon Salt
3 tablespoons Sugar, (optional).
1. To begin making the Kerala Matta Rice Puttu, wash and soak the rice overnight or for about 8 hours. Once the rice has soaked well drain the water and spread the rice on a kitchen towel.
2. Allow the rice to dry for about 5 minutes but ensure it retains a bit of the moisture, else the rice will not grind well in mixer-blender.
3. Grind the rice till it is mildly coarse. Do not grind the rice too much as it may get lumpy.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the powdered rice, sugar (optional), salt and 3 tablespoons of grated coconut. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of water on to the rice mixture and stir to combine well with your fingers.
5. The puttu mixture will be crumbly. When you hold the puttu mixture tightly in the palm of your hands it will hold together like a ball, when you release it, it will break apart. That’s the consistency we want to make the Puttu.
6. Keep the Puttu Rice Mix aside for 10-15 minutes.
7. Take a Puttu mould and place 3 tablespoons of shredded coconut followed by 8 tablespoons of the prepared Puttu Rice mix.
8. Repeat this process till the mould is full. Top off the mould with grated coconut.
9. Steam the Red Rice Puttu for 10 minutes on high heat.
10. Serve Kerala Matta Rice Puttu Kadala Curry or with sugar & chopped bananas for a wholesome meal.