/2 cup Rettai Kili Sona Masoori Rice
3 tbsp dhuli moong dal
3/4 cup jaggery crushed
4 cups water
3 tbsp ghee
8-10 cashew nuts
2 cardamom crushed
2 cloves crushed
1 pinch edible camphor optional.
1. Wash the rice and keep aside.
2. Add 1 tbsp ghee in a pressure pan.
3. Add the moong dal and fry till slightly browned.
4. Now add 3 cups of water and washed rice.
5. Cook till the rice and dal is done. ( I cooked for 1 whistle on heat heat and then reduced the heat on low and cooked for 2 more whistles ).
6. Meanwhile, add jaggery and 1 cup water in a pan.
7. Cook till jaggery is dissolved and the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
8. Strain the mixture.
9. When the dal and rice is done, open the pressure pan.
10. Add the jaggery mixture, cardamom, cloves and camphor.
11. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
12. Add the remaining ghee in a pan and heat.
13. Fry the cashew nuts till they are browned.
14. Add them in the pongal.
15. Fry the raisins till they swell up.
16. Add the raisins and the ghee in the pongal.
17. Mix well.
18. Serve hot.