750 grams chicken, cut into 16 pieces on the bone
1½ cups Rettai Kili biryani basmati rice, soaked and drained
salt to taste
2-3 black cardamoms
1 inch cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2-3 green cardamoms
2 tablespoons ghee + for drizzling
1 tablespoon caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
2 medium onions, sliced
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons red chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon biryani masala
¾ cup yogurt
½ cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1 cup browned onions + for garnishing
A generous pinch of saffron, soaked in warm water
5-6 green chilies, slit
1 inch ginger, cut into juliennes
2 teaspoons rose water
Whole wheat dough (atta) to seal
A fresh mint sprig for garnishing
1. Boil sufficient water in a deep non-stick pan. add salt, black cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaf, green cardamoms, cloves and Rettai Kili biryani basmati rice, cover and cook till the rice is fully done. strain and set aside.
2. Heat ghee in a deep non stick pan, add caraway seeds and onions, mix and sauté till onions turn golden.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste and mix. add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder, mix well and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add chicken pieces, salt, biryani masala, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. add yogurt and mix. add half the chopped coriander, half the mint leaves, half the browned onions and cooked rice. spread the rice evenly.
5. Drizzle saffron water on top and add green chillies, ginger juliennes, remaining browned onions, remaining chopped coriander and remaining mint leaves. drizzle some more ghee and rose water and top.
6. Roll the dough into a long cylinder and press onto the edges of the pan. place the lid on top, press to seal and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
7. Let it stand for 5 minutes. open the lid and transfer the biryani onto a serving plate. serve hot garnished with browned onions and mint sprig.
8. Stir for 1-2 minutes.