1 liter full fat Organic Milk
¼ cup Basmati Rice
5 to 6 tbsp. Sugar or as required
6 green cCardamoms, powdered
a pinch of Saffron
15-20 Almonds, blanched and sliced
1. Rinse the rice till the water runs clears of the starch. Soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat milk and let it come to a boil. Meanwhile drain the rice and keep aside.
3. Reduce the flame and add the rice.
4. Stir and simmer the milk and let the rice grains cook.
5. The whole process of cooking the rice in the milk takes about approx. 35-37 minutes on a low flame. After the rice is added, add the sugar.
6. Stir and continue to stir often so that lumps are not formed. Scrape the sides of the pan and add this dried milk into the pan.
7. Meanwhile in a microwave safe bowl take the almonds and cover it with water. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
8. Let the almonds cool and then peel them. Slice them along with the cashews. Rinse the raisins and keep aside.
9. Soak the pista and washed and slice it. Take the cardamoms in a mortar-pestle and then powder them finely. Remove the peels and keep the powdered cardamom aside.
10. When the rice is almost ¾th done, add the almonds, cashews, cardamom powder and saffron. Cook further till the rice grains are completely cooked.
11. The kheer would also thicken by then.
12. Remember to keep on scraping the sides and adding the dried milk from the sides in the simmering kheer.
13. Switch off the flame and add the raisins and pista and Stir.
14. You can serve the rice kheer, hot or warm. Or pour in serving bowls and refrigerate. This rice kheer stays good for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.